Markets.com is online broker’s company, Safecap. Offering Forex, CFD, funds, indices, and ETF trading. The brand provides a variety of trading platforms and a wide range of resources while maintaining regulation in many jurisdictions. Markets.com’s review covers the benefits and the drawbacks, including trading costs, smartphone applications and trial accounts, before ending with a final verdict.
Markets.com History Recap
Safecap’s Markets.com started out in 2006, and was licensed as a forex brand in 2008. Within a relatively short amount of time, the broker has built up a dependable reputation. Nevertheless, part of its growth has been funded by a variety of high profile trade partners.
The CEO and Head Office have also worked hard to offer the highest possible level of innovative technology and customer service. Therefore Markets.com has won many prestigious accolades including:
- Best Broker in Customer Service Europe 2012 (Global Banking & Finance Review)
- Best Customer Service 2012 (London Investor Show Forex)
- Forex Provider of the Year 2017 (UK Forex Awards)
- Best Forex Trading Platform 2017 (UK Forex Awards)
Markets.com has a clear, corporate structure. The company is owned and run by the broker SafeCap Investments Limited. So SafeCap is an indirect Playtech PLC subsidiary which is traded on the London Stock Exchange.
Markets & Instruments
Markets.com offers a very wide variety of tradeable assets and markets:
- Shares – Access to 2000+ shares in over 12 markets, with a gross leverage of 1:5.
- Forex – Unlimited access to 50+ currency pairs covers majors, minors and exotics. Many of which are available 24/7, while spreads go as small as 2 pipes with up to 1:30 leverage. Leverage varies by asset and area.
- Cryptocurrency – Choose among 12 separate crypto pairs, including Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and Ripple. Maximum leverage is 1:2 for more competitive markets.
- Indices – Users access over 25 big global indices from 40 countries, leveraging up to 1:20.
- ETFs – There are 1,900 trading funds available for over 30 ETFs. Total 1:10 leverage.
- Markets – Access to over 15 markets and leverage up to 1:10.
Note Markets.com does not sell wagering spreads or binary options.
Minimum Initial Deposit
The minimum number for trade deposits is $100. It is a fairly small minimum deposit, making Markets.com an enticing idea for new limited-capital traders.
Commissions & Spreads
Markets.com does not charge fees or commissions for the exchange. The spread covers everything. As a result, the spreads compared to the rivals are fairly small. That being said, some brokers are going to charge a fee too.
Markets.com does offer trading on leverage. The amount of leverage offered by the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) to EU traders was severely restricted during the summer of 2018. Leverage allows traders to open positions which exceed their account balance by a value. However, this raises the risk and reward in-trade and as such, the European regulator has agreed to restrict the amount of leverage that retail traders have available. Still, skilled traders should apply for and arrange higher leverage.
Markets.com also provides insurance against negative balance, ensuring you can’t lose more than your initial deposit. However, this also means traders must maintain a healthy balance in their account, otherwise trades can be closed if prices shift against them. Another useful way to handle risk is to avoid losses.
Note total leverage will depend on the form and instrument of your account. Cryptocurrencies will typically have low leverage ratios, whereas more liquid and less volatile assets such as common forex pairs will see up to 30:1 leverage.
Other Trading Fees
When trading with Markets.com there aren’t too many costs to be aware of. If you trade with CFDs, you’ll have to pay a roll-over fee overnight. Inactivity penalties often apply where an account is inactive for some time – full terms and conditions are on the website.
Markets.com Trading Platforms
Markets.com has its own proprietary trading site to sell. The feedback from the traders is mainly good. The platform is web-based and easily accessible if you have an internet connection. The user interface is simple and clean but it provides sophisticated tools for charting and technical analysis. The platform actually also comes with a number of technical indicators to improve the interpretation of the map.
The trading cubes are a special feature. It helps you to display all instruments at once and help streamline the process of trading.
You do get a real-time news update on a variety of forex signals and anything you need for Fibonacci trading or scalping techniques. That means that you can easily track and respond to the markets.
There are several main sections of the platform:
- The header contains several non-trading functions like depositing funds, settings, and customer service access.
- Under the header, you can change the main panel view via a menu list.
- The right panel is divided into three parts: the left is divided into two parts. At the top, you can see tradeable assets while the bottom shows your balance. The middle and largest portion indicates the asset you want to sell. Your news bar is on the right.
Head over to the official video tutorials page about how all this works to get the most out of your computer.
MetaTrader 4 & 5
The industry standard MetaTrader 5 (MT5) framework is now available to consumers at Markets.com. MT5 software is available to Mac and PC users. If you have the details of your MetaTrader username, you will have access to a powerful platform that provides advanced charts and detailed analytics. You have at your fingertips a long list of design indicators too.
In addition to that, you get sophisticated real-time trading tools and fast speeds of execution. Also, the MetaTrader program is easy to set up and there is a variety of online tools to help you.
Upon request Markets.com also provides the MetaTrader 4 (MT4) platform.
Reviews of the trading app are largely good. Applications are available for Android and iOS users. The installation of the app is quick and it takes only a few minutes to get started once you have the details of your mobile username. The vast product list is available, enabling you to speculate on anything from oil to penny stocks.
Also, both the iOS and APK apps are powerful and packed full of charts and tools for technical analysis. They do have various roles for risk management including:
- Stop loss
- Take profit
- Entry limit
- Entry stop
Overall, the app is good and offers a seamless transition from desktop-based software. It is worth noting, however, that the app doesn’t provide the following resources found on the web platform:
- There are no alerts
- No news access
- You can’t add indicators to charts
- Economic calendar not available
As a result, those who do a lot of trading from their mobile may want to consider replicating those missing elements, if possible.
Methods of Payment
Markets.com provides a broad range of deposit and account finance methods:
- Major debit & credit cards
- Bank wire transfer
Note that Bitcoin cash can’t fund your account.
Reviews for withdrawal are also positive, as you can use the same methods. In comply with the laws regulating money laundering, deposits must first be withdrawn using the same form as deposit. Furthermore there are zero withdrawal costs. There are nevertheless minimum conditions for withdrawal:
- Credit/Debit Card – 10 USD/EUR/GBP
- Neteller/Skrill – 5 USD/EUR/GBP
- Wire Transfer – 100 USD/EUR/GBP
Average withdrawal times vary depending on the mode of payment but within a few business days are around the industry average. Luckily, if the market swings your way, and you collect on 80 pips, it will be fast and easy to remove your money.
Part of the registration will include a choice of several options for the account. Thankfully the kinds of account are clear. You got:
- Real Account – A live trading account that most users sign up for.
- Demo Account – It is free and available for an unlimited period of time.
- Swap Free Account – An Islamic-friendly account that respects the Islamic Sharia Principle of interest-free trading.
All three forms of account provide some of the same basic functionality:
- Daily market analysis
- 24-hour customer service
Markets.com does offer a free trial account, as described above. A practice account is sponsored with virtual money and is a wonderful opportunity to test drive a platform and discuss intraday trade.
You can then open a live trading account once you’re comfortable with different trading tools and have an effective strategy developed. Simultaneously, both trial and live accounts can be accessed – this enables approaches to be trialled and checked alongside real money trading.
Markets.com has a number of valuable supplemental services and analysis materials. Go to the Education section and find advice on everything from zinc trading to bitcoin trading. Reviews also applaud programs such as:
- Market Consensus
- Trading Central
- Traders Trends
- Events & Trade
- Trending Now
All of the above features will help you learn how to trade, from finding new opportunities to performing a detailed review of the market. When account verification is complete, most of those resources can be accessed from inside your trading platform.
Additionally a live news feed is available. That means you can keep up-to-date with updates from your mobile application instead of leaving the site and heading for the likes of Bloomberg.
Markets.com’s consumer feedback did, however, point out that the broker should do more in terms of social exchange. There are no chat rooms or fora where traders can share ideas and illustrate concepts. It is a shame as these features can be particularly useful for beginners.
Another field which falls into Markets.com is automated trading. The broker has no APIs or provides some kind of trading algorithms or EAs.
Regulation & License
With a increasing number of fake and dishonest brokers around, it’s crucial to find one you can trust. Fortunately, the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC) has administrative authority at Safecap. That should make customers from France, Spain and the rest of the Eurozone feel relaxed. Safecap is also governed by the South African Federation of Financial Services (FSB).
As forex reviews indicate, their robust regulatory structure will reassure consumers that the Markets.com brand is legitimate and reliable.
User reviews show Markets.com scores particularly well in many fields, including:
- Choice – Clients have a big range of assets for trading and available markets.
- Platforms – You choose the trading platform, including the Markets.com web-based option.
- Regulation – Since the brand is tightly regulated, this ensures users that they can trade with confidence from London and Madrid to Gibraltar and Vietnam.
- Negative balance protection – This useful tool makes sure users do not lose more capital than is in their account. When comparing Markets.com to eToro, for example, you realise the former is one of the limited numbers of brokers that do offer this kind of feature.
There are some negative reviews on Markets.com, too. The majority of concerns center around:
- No weekend service– Most day traders must match their trading with other commitments. But sadly, if there’s a problem, weekend traders won’t have access to any phone support.
- Complex navigation – One concern is user-friendliness. Navigating across Markets.com is overly fiddly and detracts from overall user experience. Brands like AvaTrade and Plus500 can score better.
- Accessibility – Markets.com opened its doors to traders from many countries, including UK and several Eurozone nations. You can’t open an account if you’re a U.S. resident, Canada, Australia, Belgium, Japan, or India. Nevertheless, ratings will increase as the online broker opens its doors to more nations.
Markets.com Trading Hours
Opening and trading times at Markets.com are relatively industry standard. All big FX pairs, for example, will be available from Sunday 22:05 GMT through Friday GMT until 21:55.
For some holiday times Markets.com will be closed for trading. For a rundown of all instrument specific opening times and holiday hours, please see the official website.
Contact & Customer Support
User reviews are swift to applaud the extensive customer service on offer. The service is currently available in more than 25 languages, 24/5. You can contact us by e-mail or live chat. Customer support agents will help you with a whole host of problems, ranging from why your app doesn’t work to making you understand why your order was declined.
Users with supported accounts also get 24/5 phone support. For the telephone number for your area, head over to the official website.
Markets.com also provides an comprehensive support center and FAQ site, where users can find their own answers. User guides, instructional videos or even guidance on how to uninstall an account can be found online.
The platform itself is also available in 15 major languages, including:
Safety & Security
Customer reviews highlight Markets.com’s robust steps to ensure protection for clients. There are also several physical and technological procedures in operation. Those include robust firewalls, sophisticated encryption and SSL security.
Such initiatives would make prospective customers feel at ease that Markets.com is secure for their personal data and information.
Overall, consumer reviews indicate that Markets.com is less concerned with dividends, and more about providing consumers with an ideal trading experience. You get a variety of assets and resources, outstanding customer service and good regulatory oversight. The small minimum deposit also means Markets.com is a worthy option for newcomers and seasoned traders alike.
Markets.com welcomes traders from Australia, the UK, South Africa, Singapore, India, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Denmark, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Luxemburg, Qatar and several other nations.
Traders are not permitted to use Markets.com from the Russian Federation, Brazil, Switzerland, Japan, USA, Canada, Belgium, Israel, Turkey, New Zealand, Malaysia, Syria, Thailand, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Puerto Rico.